Massachusetts officials released guidelines Wednesday night about how to safely transport children to and from school during the pandemic.
The guidelines include details about:
The logistics of riding school buses
- All students — no matter the age — will be required to wear a mask.
- Each student will have a bus bench to themselves for at least 3 feet of distance between students; students will be assigned bus seats. The guidelines include example diagrams of seating for various-sized buses.
- Bus windows will be kept open at all times, except in “extreme weather conditions.”
School bus capacity
- School buses will range from 31 to 43 percent capacity. For example, an 83-passenger bus will have a maximum of 27 passengers (33 percent capacity), and a 14-passenger bus will have a maximum of 6 passengers (43 percent capacity).
- Schools may need to add buses to routes or stagger start and end times of